On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:30:20 +0100 Luis Medinas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We have a few alternatives like audacious, gstreamer based players
> and xine-lib players (did i forget anything ?). The problem is that
[...]
> So i'm asking for a solution either remove xmms, move the maintainer
> for anyone who volunteer or the sound herd.  My plans now is replace
> xmms for xmms2 (that i would like to take the
> maintainership). Opinions ? Ideas ?

Just pure user point of view: I search for alternatives and closest
that I found in amd64 stable portage tree is audacious. But it have
less functionality than xmms (even than xmms_with_bugs).

Most missing is gapless output, so when playing continuous tracks
I get ugly spaces between them, brr. Other missing is very usefull
xosd support and great xmms-pipe (which does not work for me
currently, I reported it yesterday - this was probably last drop for
you Luis :-( ) so xmms can be widely controlled by external commands.

This is disadvantages that I have remembered now. I'm sure I'll find
others in the future (as always when swithching software). Also there
are for sure more, that affect other users.

In general, after removing xmms we, users, only get less
functionality. Notthing will be better. So it sounds not logical to
remove functional, widely used piece of software which is better (even
with current bugs) then alternatives.

Kind regards

Robert

--