Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 22:36 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
>> From what I see, projects are pretty free to govern themselves. How do
>> you see it differently?
>
> How do you kick someone out of a project?  Currently, I know of no way
> to do so.
>
> What process is required for someone to join a project?  Currently,
> anyone can add themselves to any project without any consent from the
> project itself.  The only real counter-examples to this are projects
> which require some kind of specific authorization to join, such as
> devrel or infra, since they have access controls.
>
> Who is responsible for an individual developer's work, aside from the
> developer?  If a developer joins a project and doesn't do what he's
> promised, nothing happens to him.  If he doesn't work his bugs, nothing
> happens.  Why not?
>
> What if the developer does poor work?  This really ties into the above,
> but what happens if someone is found to not really possess the skills
> necessary to be in a project?  Right now, we cannot do anything about
> this person but hope that they either magically gain the skills, or
> leave the project on their own accord.

That's not true, from my reading of the developer handbook.

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=5
says:

"Decisions within a project can be made by the people inside project
itself, of course coordination between the projects is necessary. The
(sub-)project leads are usually responsible for doing this."

As far as I'm concerned, project membership is a decision within the
project.

Thanks,
Donnie