On Friday 13 April 2007, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> Mike Frysinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > It masks all kinds of programming screwups. doblah should make a
> > > blah, not make a blah and possibly make a directory.
> >
> > name one
>
> dosym's old behaviour prevented a broken Vim release (upstream screwed
> up a Makefile dependency) from getting into the tree unnoticed. Had
> that happened after you changed some (but not all) of the do*
> utilities, the duff symlinks would probably have gone unnoticed for a
> while.

improper package testing that was saved by a dosym that did not create
directories ... useful mayhaps, but not nearly enough to justify the proposed
change

> > you're proposing we suddenly bloat all of our src_install functions
> > for no gain at all ... sounds like a no brainer to me
>
> No, I'm proposing that functions not have strange side effects.

the behavior here is desired ... you install into a directory, then the
directory should exist

> Well no, they can't, because there are a whole load of ebuilds that
> will break if they do that. But if it's introduced as mandatory
> (barring ebuilds RESTRICTing it) for EAPI 1, the tree will slowly move
> towards everything that reasonably can do having working test suites,
> which will be a huge step forward for QA.

that's really the QA's job to enforce, not the package manager

if the QA team wants to spear head a tree wide effort at getting src_test up
and running, they're certainly free to
-mike