On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 12:19 +0200, Jakub Moc wrote:
> Petteri Räty napsal(a):
> > Or just do it via package.use in profiles until IUSE defaults are
> > implemented.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Petteri
>
> As noted before, they are implemented, just not allowed in the tree.
> Plus, what vapier said, this info belongs to the ebuilds, not to profiles.
>
> Wrt pidgin - seriously, what's the big issue here? Users can't use
> emerge -pv output and determine what they want, or? Will we bloat the
> profiles everytime someone forgets to enable a flag and goes complain
> upstream about a 'missing' feature?

Unfortunately, that is the state we're currently in with regards to our
profiles and the tree.  I know I would *love* to see us start using IUSE
defaults as soon as possible in the tree.  It really would keep the
profiles from bloating out too much with ebuild-specific USE flags and
such.  Also, we (releng) have a current policy of not really allowing
local USE in the profiles unless we absolutely have to do so.  I mean in
USE in make.defaults, not in package.use, which is perfectly acceptable.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead