On 7/19/07, Marijn Schouten (hkBst) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

joshua jackson wrote:
> Jakub Moc wrote:
>> Petteri Rýty napsal(a):
>>> Or just do it via package.use in profiles until IUSE defaults are
>>> implemented.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Petteri
>> As noted before, they are implemented, just not allowed in the tree.
>> Plus, what vapier said, this info belongs to the ebuilds, not to profiles.
>
>> Wrt pidgin - seriously, what's the big issue here? Users can't use
>> emerge -pv output and determine what they want, or? Will we bloat the
>> profiles everytime someone forgets to enable a flag and goes complain
>> upstream about a 'missing' feature?

>> !DSPAM:469f3b40137571336712104!
> Honestly..this is not something to get picky over jakub. Upstream was
> nice and actually came and politely asked us to change the defaults to
> what most people would consider sane (all protocols by default). As I
> think most people emerging pidgin..would like to use any protocol by
> default..not go..hey I don't have yahoo, I should check my use flags.
> Which obviously hasn't happened as users pop up in #pidgin to ask why
> the heck there isn't a yahoo account available.
>
> This should be a nothing change to do. Its also working with upstream
> and maintaining some good relationships here..and or help improve them
> in general. That should in fact you know...be part of our goals....to
> improve communications between Gentoo and other projects.

Perhaps we also need to make it more clear where users can ask such
Gentoo-specific questions about specific packages, so they don't need to go
and annoy upstream. Associate an irc-channel with each package. Most packages
have a herd associated with them which can belong to a project which could
have an irc-channel where the relevant developers could be found and which can
put common problems in its topic. Fallback for when no appropriate irc-channel
can be found would be #gentoo. Currently it is usually difficult to find such
irc-channels or to know if there is none and that your only option is #gentoo
or #$upstream. It would also make it easier for users to start helping
developers and eventually become developers themselves, since they won't need
to search for a point of entry anymore.

Not sure if this fits in to what you're talking about, but I do know
that as myself a "would like to me maintainer someday", I'm somewhat
lost as to knowing how I can get involved and who I need to talk to.

Eric

Marijn

http://aluink.blogspot.com

--
"...indexable arrays, which may be thought of as functions whose
domains are isomorphic to contiguous subsets of the integers."