On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 18:54 +0200, Thomas Scharl wrote:
> Anyways this is more of philosophical/social issue to discuss about than
> a technical one.

One thing that I had been considering bringing up and getting help with
is some scripts/whatever to get users to do things they might not know
they can do during installation.  For example, let's say we've got a
little script, called sub_to_gwn, which takes a single argument, an
email address.  At the end of the Installer, we can ask "Would you like
to subscribe to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter?" and subscribe people that
say yes.  We could do the same thing for a stats client, or any other
projects that we deemed would be useful.  The idea here is to present
some of these things that we would like the users to be doing to provide
us feedback (and disseminate information) to the user when they're
installing.  Of course, we'd also add the scripts into the
documentation, so people can simply run them w/o the Installer, so we're
not tying this stuff to Installer-only installs.

Anyway, some things I think we could/should do are:
- GWN
- gentoo-announce
- gentoo-stats (or whatever we have now, if anything)

Anything else?

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead