Hello developers,

today I posted a bug (187475) about a minor issue about the useflag
libnotify not beeing in the default desktop profile. Me was told that
this sould be discussed on gentoo-dev. I can't really understand why
such a minor issue have to be discussed among all developers as there
are certainly much more importand things to do.

Beeing a user I have the feeling that bugs concerning such minor issues
aren't welcome among the gentoo developers. I consider it important for
gentoo to regard such details too achieve a more polished gnome desktop
experience by default as we have now.

To come to the bug, I'll comment Jakub Moc's last comment:

> As said above - bloating default profiles even more goes to gentoo-dev mailing
> list, so that people could comment. I for one am already annoyed enough by the
> nonsense being added there, such as USE=kerberos or USE=ldap.

I agree that there is too much enabled by default, but other things are
missing. I personally need kerberos and ldap but that shouldn't be the
default for most singel-user desktop installations.

So, these are my proposed changes for the default desktop profile:

+bash-completion
+bluetooth
+ffmpeg    (totem isn't much without it)
+libnotify (gives very nice popup notifications in many programs instead
of an annoying, workflow interrupting dialog box with an OK button)
+ppds      (everyone has a printer, and this is needed to configure it
without further investigations. cups is already in)
+startup-notification
-fortran   (not 1% of the desktop users need fortran and it speeds up
the compile)
-kerberos
-ldap

I'm curious about your comments,