Martin Schwier wrote:
<snip>

The gnome meta ebuild pulls in way too much stuff. I always have to copy
it in my local overlay and have to remove epiphany, evolution, vino,
ekiga and more. There are no use flags to control this and I expect many
gnome users to use Firefox and Thunderbird instead of epiphany and
evolution. (many, not all).

If I use the official gnome ebuild instead of my edited one then 35 new
packages will be pulled in. Well I think *that* is bloat! The libnotify
useflag pulls in one 60k library that don't harm anyone.

<more snip>

The official Gnome meta ebuild pulls in what upstream considers to be the Gnome Desktop - thats why it is there, the Gnome herd will *not* change that. As a convenience, they have provided the gnome-light meta ebuild. If Gnome pulls in too much, then take a look at gnome-light. If that pulls in too little, then continue to work on it in your overlay, the Gnome herd does not have time to create multiple ebuilds of the "official" upstream Gnome desktop just because some users don't want this or that, they provide it as a convenience, and that is all.