On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 08:17:49 +0100
Ulrich Mueller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > | Possibility to extend the behaviour of inherit and add new global
> > | scope functions (as a result of not sourcing ebuilds with
> > | unsupported EAPI).
>
> It seems to me that this will inconvenience the users, in order to
> solve a technical problem of the package manager.
>
> Is this really the right way to go?

Well, users shouldn't really be doing anything with .ebuild files... Or
if by users you mean developers, I'd say it's considerably less
inconvenient than having to remember arbitrary syntax restrictions...

> >> Wouldn't software (like editors determining file type by looking at
> >> what is after the ".") also need to be reworked to recognize a
> >> variable string after "-" at the end?
>
> > Yep, but that's not very difficult. And as a side effect, editors
> > could then provide EAPI aware highlighting.
>
> They can also do this if EAPI is set within the file.

It's extremely tricky to do correctly... With Vim it'd only work when
opening an existing file with the variable already there. Picking it up
as it's added would require insane CursorHold hackery (which also slows
down Vim quite a bit).

--
Ciaran McCreesh