On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 20:46:35 -0800
Josh Saddler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 03:17:12 +0100
> > Luca Barbato <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Putting a tag in the file name or at the to of the file as comment
> >> (maybe using a #! line) is the same ...
>
> > * It's a format restriction. Some formats have to start with
> > something that's not #!.
>
> Who cares? Gentoo uses the ebuild/bash-with-shebang format. If you're
> trying to shove in something outside of that, that would be a package
> manager-specific format. Like XML-stuff (that can't include the
> shebang or EAPI="foo" at the top) specifically for, say, Paludis.

And that's the kind of thinking that landed Gentoo in the "unable to
add new features" camp for several years.

> If it's package manager-specific, then it doesn't belong in the main
> tree, as you stated. Would that include trying to push in the proposed
> suffix changes?

Uh, no. It's a GLEP so that everyone can do it.

> If they have uses outside of it, then consider supporting it *only
> in that package manager*, rather than trying to force it on what is
> largely an unreceptive Gentoo group.

Paludis has it already for other trees. We're trying to get Gentoo, and
all ebuild-using package managers, to start using it because it's a good
solution and solves several problems that Gentoo has currently.

> Near as I can tell, it's only the Paludis folks that are interested
> in pushing this GLEP through.

Have you tried asking the Portage developer?

--
Ciaran McCreesh