On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:01:30 +0200
Luca Barbato <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 07:49:44 +0200
> > Alexis Ballier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> I thought tests were already supposed to pass whatever the EAPI is
> >> and devs were supposed to run them...
> >
> > Supposedly. But in practice this isn't true, because far too many
> > developers just don't care.
>
> and having it forced in the eapi won't change this.

Sure it will. They won't be able to install their package without
either passing src_test or restricting it.

Developers *do* try to install things before committing, right?

> > Enforcing src_test in a "you must explicitly say so if your
> > package's test suites are expected to fail" way on an EAPI bump is
> > a clean way of recovering from this.
>
> You are assuming that every package has a test (false), nobody will
> have src_test dummified.

Not at all. If upstream has no test suite, or developers choose to
RESTRICT off test, it just means there's less QA being done for that
package.

But more importantly, it still means that people *know* that a failing
src_test is to be investigated. Currently they instead have to guess
whether it's a lazy developer issue or a genuine bug being shown.

--
Ciaran McCreesh