On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 02:00:19PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 14:49:19 +0200
> Luca Barbato <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Why is "Create tests for EAPI=1 stuff." not a way to describe how
> > > to reproduce a problem?
> >
> > because EAPI1 isn't specified completely so you don't have a large
> > field to cover but you also do not know the bounds of it.
>
> EAPI 1 is entirely specified in terms of a diff against EAPI 0.
> Checking every part that's changed before releasing an EAPI 1 package
> manager is the least any responsible person would do. That they would
> release a version without doing such basic tests shows you just how
> much they care about Gentoo...
>
> > Assuming that Ciaranm isn't just lying knowingly it's just plainly
> > rude, otherwise it is pure malice.
>
> What, asking the pkgcore people to test their code before releasing a
> version that claims to support EAPI 1 but actually doesn't, forcing
> people to avoid using some of EAPI 1 to avoid breaking pkgcore, is
> malice?
>
> The whole "EAPI lets us do upgrades cleanly" process is broken when
> people release a package manager that claims to support a certain EAPI
> but doesn't. If pkgcore had any actual users we'd have to consider
> banning EAPI 1 in the tree and releasing EAPI 2 as being identical to
> EAPI 1 just to work around this.

Ya know ciaran, I've just got to point out that you spend quite a
large amount of time talking about pkgcore.  Literaly- you talk about
it more then I do.

I could point out how paludis (or portage) has picked up the misc
functionality pkgcore (then known as saviour, or ebd) established 4
years back, but hey, I'm not petty like you.  Generators aren't at all
like the basic repository concept, no sir.  But you know that, of
course, and of course you've got nothing to worry about from pkgcore,
no sir.

Alternatively, I'll take your tack- eapi1 actually isn't supported by
paludis.  Ask me what bug, please, trust me I'll make it entertaining
for the gentoo-dev readers.

~harring