On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 17:24:55 +0400
Peter Volkov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> В Вск, 07/09/2008 в 02:05 +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto пишет:
> > Our first attempt was to use a multislot use flag[1]. According to
> > that flag, we would set the SLOT and the PREFIX for the install.
> > That has the a very important problem - it breaks the invariancy of
> > the SLOT and as thus been put aside.
>
> Could you explain in a little bit more details why it's bad? How
> portage workarounds this now for binutils?

Portage uses the metadata cached slot when doing dep resolution, so it
goes spectacularly wrong.

> In any case as FHS and /usr/kde/<version> installations should set
> differently SLOT seems that new portage feature is required... May be
> portage should allow setting SLOT in dependence on USE flag?

So what's the slot when SLOT="foo? ( 1 ) bar? ( 2 )"? And should you be
able to have the same KDE version with both USE=multislot and
USE=-multislot installed at the same time?

Unfortunately, the issue's not as simple as allowing conditionals in
SLOT in a future EAPI.

> Or new property for PROPERTIES called multislot which will workaround
> the problem with "invariancy of the SLOT"?

Uh, how would that work?

--
Ciaran McCreesh