080907 Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
> The slotting of KDE 3.* and KDE 4.* was never a question
> but whether we really need to keep slotting of minor KDE versions
> in the new 4.* line, i.e. KDE 4.1 and 4.2 slotted on the same system.

Yes, I understood that (smile).

> It is no real issue to be able to run a slotted KDE 4.2 install
> alongside an FHS install of KDE 4.* <via an overlay>.

In that case, much of my unease disappears:
users should be willing to learn how to use overlays.

> This helps to make the normal KDE install much simpler to maintain
> with less gradual build up of cruft over the years,
> ie multiple older slots the user is no longer using.
> It also brings us into line with the FHS compliant Qt 4 ebuilds

Yes, if there is a genuine improvement in maintainability for the devs,
that's a real reason for making the change.

In another msg, you said nothing will change till 4.2 ( 0901xx )
& by then hopefully KDE 4 will have settled down to normal usability.

> The purpose of these posts was to solicit further feedback
> before things are pushed to the main tree.

Well, you have mine (grin).

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca