On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 13:56:19 -0700
Zac Medico <zmed...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > * Limit values in $USE to ones in $IUSE (bug 176467). The existing
> >   behaviour's majorly annoying; time for the package manager to
> > start enforcing things strictly.
>
> My impression is that most ebuild developers tend to dislike the
> idea of adding profile-specific flags such as $ARCH, userland_*,
> kernel_*, and elibc_* to IUSE. Perhaps there should be exemptions
> for these?

If we must do that... Can we get something in profiles a bit like this:

    USE_EXPAND_IMPLICIT="USERLAND KERNEL ELIBC ARCH"
    USE_EXPAND_UNPREFIXED="ARCH"
    USE_EXPAND_VALUES_USERLAND="GNU freebsd"
    USE_EXPAND_VALUES_KERNEL="linux blah"
    USE_EXPAND_VALUES_ELIBC="glibc"
    USE_EXPAND_VALUES_ARCH="x86 amd64 sparc mips blah"

so we've got an enforcable complete list of every legal value for
them, and less associated mess?

--
Ciaran McCreesh