On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:11:56 +0100
Christian Faulhammer <fa...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com>:
> > Then this is a legitimate problem that someone needs to know about
> > and fix. So having src_test turned on globally is a *good* thing.
> >
> [...]
> >
> > Again, finding this is good.
> [...]
> >
> > And if you're on an especially slow platform, as a user you can turn
> > tests off.
>
>  Ciaran, your initial argument was that stable users won't see those
> failures as architecture teams will spot them during stabilisation.

Unless there is a genuine problem, yes.

> This is wrong, above cases will turn up after a successful
> stabilisation with full QA.

And they indicate a genuine problem, so you want them to show up.

> Nobody ever said, that spotting those is bad, so for me this
> discussion has ended.  Enabling by default for everyone (not all
> users are experts, like it or not) is a bad idea as it causes many
> false positives and has drawbacks for just-users.

So? The occasional false positive, which can quickly be fixed, is a lot
better than missing things that will break a user's system. We should
be failing safely, not defaulting to dangerous behaviour.

--
Ciaran McCreesh