On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 21:36:40 +0200
Fabian Groffen <grob...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 04-04-2009 12:24:32 -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
> > > Sure it's not a user land like GNU or BSD but I can't see why we
> > > couldn't change what USERLAND means.
> >
> > But why change the meaning if it's confusing an unnecessary?
> > Perhaps it's more appropriate to set IUSE_IMPLICIT="prefix".
>
> This sounds like a good thing to make it explicit prefix is an
> implicit USE-flag.
>
> However, I would still prefer to see prefix being masked in base, and
> then unmasked and forced in the prefix profiles.  Does that make any
> sense?

The two aren't mutually contradictory. Quite the contrary.

For EAPI 3, we're aiming to make it illegal to do anything with a flag
unless it's either explicitly listed in IUSE or handled via a number of
special magic profile variables, so you'd either have to list it
everywhere or use one of the profile variables. Once you do that, how
you mask / force it is up to you, unless you need some kind of special
package manager handling for that flag.

--
Ciaran McCreesh