On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Fabian Groffen <grob...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 04-04-2009 20:41:34 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
>> The two aren't mutually contradictory. Quite the contrary.
>>
>> For EAPI 3, we're aiming to make it illegal to do anything with a flag
>> unless it's either explicitly listed in IUSE or handled via a number of
>> special magic profile variables, so you'd either have to list it
>> everywhere or use one of the profile variables. Once you do that, how
>> you mask / force it is up to you, unless you need some kind of special
>> package manager handling for that flag.
>
> Sounds to me it would be ok then to add it now in use.mask, and then
> EAPI 3 is done, define it in whatever special variable it needs to be
> added to according to the specs then.  IUSE_IMPLICIT -- assuming it can
> be defined in the profiles -- seems like a good way to prepare for that,
> since it makes explicit it is implicit, IMO.

Alright, I have talked to a few people in IRC. This solution seems to work:

* IUSE_IMPLICIT="prefix" in base/make.defaults (for EAPI-3 and greater)
* prefix in base/use.mask (so no profiles will be able to use it
unless specifically unmasked)
* unmask USE=prefix and force it in prefix profiles - not in gentoo-x86 yet

Patch located here if anyone cares to look:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~darkside/tmp/USE-prefix.patch

This is the combined logic of this thread, anything I overlooked?

Thanks,
Jeremy