On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 21:35:45 +0100
Ben de Groot <yng...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> 2010/1/12 Markos Chandras <hwoar...@gentoo.org>:
> > If you feel like it, become a proxy-maintainer and poke a developer
> > to put your ebuilds on tree. Have you ever heard of that ? :)
>
> Proxy-maintainership should be given a MUCH higher profile in Gentoo,
> in my opinion. It is a virtually unknown option.
>
> Another thing that works in my experience, but this is up to the
> herds/projects, is having an official overlay where devs and users can
> work closely together. This allows users to commit ebuilds and
> patches, while there is quality control by the involved devs. Devs can
> keep an eye on such overlays and move stuff to portage when they are
> ready. Sunrise is the most obvious example for this, for
> maintainer-wanted packages. But it works equally well for us in the Qt
> project with qting-edge, and I believe kde and pro-audio have the same
> experience.
>
> But I also believe we need a better structure to handle
> maintainer-needed, maintainer-wanted and nominally maintained but
> ignored packages. Maybe we should form a team, which would be
> dedicated to take care of such things, and which would have a review
> policy for user submitted ebuilds and patches in bugzilla. A bit like
> treecleaners, but bringing life instead of death. What do you think?

I agree with the creation of a maintainer-needed team, but to be
honest, all those packages ended in maintainer-needed by lack of
manpower.

Even with the manpower problem, there are people helping with those
packages, such as Patrick, Samuli, Diego and myself.

I am in the maintainer-needed CC so I always try to commit patches and
do fixes to those packages, although lately I have not had much time
available. So, if anyone have a patch for a maintainer-needed package,
feel free to ping me :)

Víctor