On 01/11/2010 06:30 PM, Arnaud Launay wrote:

As a newsmaster, I'm a bit concerned by this.

Yeah, inn seems like a really high-profile package to mask for removal. It would be conspicuous in its absence.

Would it make sense to post on -dev BEFORE masking packages like this? I'm sure there are lots of people who would chip in before something like this dies.

Right now lots of users are going to get errors due to a masked package until somebody takes the initiative to fix it. I suspect that nobody wants to poke their head up and risk getting it shot off by doing something like that...

Perhaps Gentoo needs a little more of Wikipedia's "Be Bold" attitude and a little less of their "delete first and ask questions later" attitude.

Note - I'm not suggesting the problem shouldn't be fixed - I'm just suggesting that in this case the solution is worse than the original problem.

Rich