On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:49:38AM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 12:46:04AM +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> > The minimal initramfs would do the following.
> >
> > 1. Mount devtmpfs/sysfs/procfs as needed to access devices.
> > 2. Mount real_root to /newroot
> > 3. Read /newroot/etc/initramfs.mount and /newroot/etc/fstab
> > 4.1. If /newroot/etc/initramfs.mount does not exist
> >      Assume it contains only: /usr /var
> > 5. Mount the combined items from said files
>
> Should these be mounted rread-only or just mounted? Also, will
> fsck still work if they are mounted?
read-only. Yes, this does mean that the fsck code needs some improving,
and potentially if it makes changes on a ro-mounted disk, the disk needs
to be umounted & remounted, or a reboot needs to happen. Basically what
we do for / now needs to extend to the other mountpoints as well.

> I am concerned about /var being included in this because of the
> potential of filling up the root partition.
Err, I don't follow. How does mounting /var fill up the root partition?

> Upstream is only talking about /usr as stated earlier in this thread,
> so how are we getting /var involved?
See my other notes on stuff in udev rules that require /var before they
can complete successfully.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robb...@gentoo.org