On 13 March 2012 19:41, Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 05:12:28PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote
>
>> This whole thing is just an exercise in trying to find excuses not to
>> use GLEP 55.
>
>  A filename should not be (ab)used as a database.  The main argument for
> GLEP 55 is that it would make ebuild-processing generic.  I.e. making
> ebuild info available to whatever future ebuild processor replacement
> for bash was used.  A couple of comments...
>
> 1) Let's talk generic.  Right now, we're talking about EAPI.  In future,
> what other (meta)data and characteristics will we need to know?  What
> else will be tacked onto the filename?  EAPI, and any other critical
> (meta)data should be declared early on in the ebuild.  That's what the
> ebuild is for.
>
> 2) Any potential ebuild processor that's incapable of looking for regex
> "^EAPI=" in a textfile, amd parsing the numbers that follow, has no
> business being used to process ebuilds.

Yeah, the only other concept I wanted to see addressed for technical
concerns is a per-package metadata file ( that is *not* metadata.xml )
that intends to associate out-of-band metadata with files in the
package's directory.

Consider  if it were in .json , just for ease of explaining the concept

category/package/
    package-foo-1.2.ebuild
    package-foo-1.2.3.ebuild
    metamap.json

And in metamap.json :

{
    "_metamap" : {  "api-version" : 1 },
    "package-foo-1.2.ebuild" : {   "eapi" : "6" },
    "package-foo-1.2.3.ebuild" : { "eapi" : "7" }
}

Yes, I'm aware this imposes some limitations on editing files somewhat.

But I don't think I've seen this specific concept has seen a proper
fleshing out/destruction yet.

Really, I've seen lots of interesting ideas thus far, but I'm having
trouble keeping the pros / cons of each variant of each approach in my
head, and Glep55 wins by default because it fits better in my
short-term-memory =).

( Yes, yes, I stuck a _metamap key with attached _metamap api version
subkey *just* in case the format of the metamap needs to change.  If
you want to have a metametamap, well, I guess thats why we have
hallucinogens ;) )

--
Kent

perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,