On 03/21/12 11:14, Justin wrote:
> On 21.03.2012 15:48, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
>>
>>> Portage could be considered to be one of these contexts.
>>

>> If the entire package is installed (ie, it's not broken up into
>> separate libraries or sub-packages) this would be fine (ie having the
>> package in portage), wouldn't it?
>>
>> I guess the primary restriction here would be that nothing else would
>> be allowed to link against any embedded libraries; ie, the package
>> couldn't be a dep.
>>

> It simply creates one binary which I am interested in. I don't see any
> problem if I use fetch restriction. The only remaining question would be
> the actual LICENSE?
>
> justin

Portage is a dramatic advance over the older model of distributing
tarballs that are then extracted by hand and it is something that the
author could both have failed to realize possible and also consider to
be a different context.

This is a possible ambiguity that I could see being exploited in a legal
setting, although I admit that it is incredibly unlikely that anyone
would to bother. One would have to be incredibly dense to consider
portage to be a separate context, although I could imagine lawyers and
judges considering it to be such.