Hi!

Recently, I have again bumped into the question whether one
should compile the kernel as root. One of the things that puzzles
me is why almost every HowTo, blog post and book recommends
building as non-root -- yet basically no distribution /helps/ the
user with doing that.

I've discussed this with a few people on #gentoo-dev and they've
provided valuable insight (thanks AxS, Chainsaw and WilliamH), so
I have gathered the results so far here:

http://blog.i-no.de/archives/2012/07/index.html#e2012-07-04T19_28_32.txt

Feel free to comment (ideally here). Note that I'm aiming for a
solution that is not (overly) Gentoo-specific.

Thanks,
Tobias (aka Blackb|rd on Freenode)

--
Sent from aboard the Culture ship