Hi!

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012, Michał Górny wrote:
> There's a very simple yet custom solution I'm using. Shortly saying:
> checkout the kernel git to /usr/src/linux and chown to your user. As
> far as it goes, it's superior to having kernel sources installed by
> ebuilds.
>
> I just have to remember to do 'git fetch' from time to time and 'git
> merge' whenever a new version is tagged.

It is also beyond the package manager's control. That means users
who want to just configure their kernel (and run point releases
otherwise) have to actively check for new tags/versions.

Aside from that the git tree is not exactly lightweight: my
current 2.6 checkout weighs in at 1.4G whereas the unpacked tar
is 512M.

I'll amend the blog post, though.

Regards,
Tobias