On 07/05/2012 06:23 AM, Matthew Marlowe wrote:
>> The Linux kernel should not and really must not be built as root.
>> This is neither supported nor recommended nor tested by upstream.
>> You may recall there was a kernel build system bug which ran -rf /
>> which would be bad if you built as root.
>>
>> The administrator usually has a normal user account somewhere. Use
>> that to build.
>>

> Maybe it's just the sysadmin in me, and being used to logging into
> hundreds of boxes where the only non-root accounts are dedicated to
> specifics apps which have specific reasons to limit their security
> access (nginx/etc), but the concept that simply compiling a kernel as
> root being a dangerous operation -- seems twisted.  From a system
> reliability point of view, compiling a kernel should be something I
> can do on all boxes when if needed and the only account that I can
> ensure exists on all boxes is root.
>
> Still, I guess it makes sense from the perspective of the kernel
> developers and we're stuck with that, although -- the gloating over
> 'rm -rf' seems overdone.
>
> In any case, if we must go down this road..than the proper solution is
> to treat the kernel like any other security sensitive app.  Create a
> new designated user for compiling kernels - call it 'kernel' and over
> time we'll grow used to it being on all boxes.  We can adjust our
> automated kernel building scripts to su to the kernel user before
> issuing make commands/etc and the makefile can terminate abnormally if
> it detects it is being run from any other user than 'kernel'.

portage already has a portage user which is used to build (or pretty
much do) everything else if you set FEATURES="userpriv usersync
usersandbox" so do we really need a kernel user to build the kernel? How
about a kde user to build kde? I for one do not need a new user on my
system every time I want to build something new. For all I care, build
as nobody, but adding a kernel user is ridiculous.

- -Zero