On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 09:37:33AM -0400, Ian Stakenvicius wrote

  First a disclaimer... I am not a C programmer, let alone a developer.
I feel like I've been dragged into this kicking and screaming in order
to save the Gentoo that I remember from a few years ago.

> Out of curiosity, since mdev is (i assume) more than complete enough
> to handle mounting, would it be possible to initially start with mdev
> and then hand over control to udev (if there was a need for udev, that
> is) , to avoid initramfs with separate /usr ?

  I think that's exactly how initramfs itself works.  You might be able
to use an initrd instead of initramfs.  See Zac Medico's posting at...
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_20749880f5bc5feda141488498729fe8.xml
That was the clue that got me started on replacing udev with mdev.

  Once you have psuedo-filesystems and partitions mounted, you need to
shut down mdev and start up udev.  And make sure that
/proc/sys/kernel/hotplug points to udev.

  If you want to get fancy, you can boot from a separate small boot
partition, or for that matter a USB key.  Then either chroot or
pivot_root into the udev environment.  For pivot_root man pages see
http://linux.die.net/man/8/pivot_root and
http://linux.die.net/man/2/pivot_root

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>