William Hubbs posted on Thu, 12 Jul 2012 17:29:31 -0500 as excerpted:

>> And make sure that
>> /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug points to udev.
>
> If you are using udev, /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug should be empty; do not
> point this to udev.

Yes.  I've not changed that setting from whatever the default is, and I
guess udev moved its hook out from there quite some time ago so it's
pointing at nothing, but having that actually point to something is known
in kernel circles to lead to a lot of unnecessary grief.  They're
seriously thinking about (and may be planning on) removing that option
from the kernel entirely, to keep people configuring their first kernels
from getting themselves in trouble, but of course that's now part of the
kernel/userspace interface, so it isn't allowed to just disappear like
kernel/kernel interfaces can.  At minimum they'd likely have to have it
on the deprecation and removal schedule for awhile.  (I've not checked to
see if it's there already.)