On 07/14/2012 04:34 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 9:32 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>> A lot of that is optional. The only hard dependencies are:
>>
>>> =sys-apps/kmod-5
>>> =sys-apps/util-linux-2.20
>> dev-util/gperf
>>> =dev-util/intltool-0.40.0
>> virtual/pkgconfig
>> virtual/os-headers
>>
>> Everything else is optional. I repeat: the idea that udev is somewhat
>> "bloated" or "fat" is really incorrect.

> Little correction: inherit autotools brings things like automake and
> libtool, but then again, almost *every* Gentoo installation has those.

build dependencies should not count. =)

The bare udev shouldn't be that huge, then you start look at the glib
integration and such and it might get a bit more than you'd like.

Forking udev and making sure it stays as lean as possible isn't that bad.

Making mdev a bit richer and enjoy the speed advantage of busybox over
stand alone shells could be another option.

Most of the perceived speed in non-shell init systems is due not having
to spawn as many processes. A full busybox wouldn't spawn many processes.

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo/linux