Rich Freeman wrote:
> Systemd is a bit more like a shepherd, looking after things for
> their entire lifecycle.

This is a big part of why it is so useful.

I threw out init scripts because it was retarded to not monitor
long-running processes on servers.

Those processes shouldn't fail, but sometimes they do anyway.

sysvinit does the monitoring already and I wanted to write my own
monitoring solution sometime in the 90s, until I found daemontools
which did exactly what I wanted to do, and in a way quite similar
to how I would have implemented it. Win. \o/

> Systemd isn't a like-for-like replacement for traditional inits.
> It aims to be much more, so this is a bit of an apples-to-oranges
> comparison.

Yes, it is much more, which is a very nice thing on the systems
it supports. I believe systemd is not usuable at all outside Linux
and will not likely ever be, so for prefix there will anyway always
be systemd alternatives in Gentoo! And on those systems the service
files should never be installed.

> Again, I'm not sure that it HAS to work the way it does

I would say that it does, because it is required in order to
accomplish what systemd wants to deliver.

//Peter