On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 06:27:41 -0400
Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> 1.  Devs don't want to have ebuilds that capture dependencies on every
> little thing.  A few well-chosen virtuals like "shell utilities" or
> whatever might help with this.

Just note that PMS specifies a few requirements about those utilities
as well. I'm not sure if we want ebuilds explicitly DEPEND-ing on
things which are required by PMS.

In any case, virtual/posix-system would be nice to have.

> 2.  Things like Prefix rely on the system not installing local copies
> of libraries in the core system it needs to link to.  Careful use of
> package.provided in profiles might address this.

We could also make virtuals not pull in anything on Prefix in those
cases.

> 3.  We'd need many more virtuals to handle situations like FreeBSD
> where people don't what GNU on their systems.  Right now if they are
> system packages they just define system appropriately and ebuilds
> don't directly pull in the GNU stuff anyway.

I doubt that's a problem. We've got a lot of virtuals and adding new
ones shouldn't be a problem. I'd dare say it's better to add more
virtuals than introducing USEflags to existing ones -- it requires less
work from users.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny