On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 7:57 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò
<flamee...@flameeyes.eu> wrote:
> On 10/12/2012 01:52, Rich Freeman wrote:
>>  The shim might work, but I'd hardly call it "secure boot" if every
>> motherboard manufacturer and OEM in the world has the ability to sign
>> things, even if MS vouched for them all.  Even if I installed Windows
>> I'd want the ability to re-sign it with a key I controlled and tell
>> the firmware to refuse to boot the MS key.
>
> I don't think it's Gentoo's place to do that kind of stuff especially
> since I think you're in dreamland if you think that's achievable in
> _every_ case. It probably works in some cases, though.

Any Windows-logo-compliant firmware has to support changing the keys.
I have no idea whether Windows itself supports this, but that really
isn't our concern.  In any case, nobody is forcing anybody to build in
that support - I just think it is a good idea.  I doubt it would be
difficult to accomplish - it just requires signing the bootloader.
But, if nobody wants to do it now I'll just deal with it when I buy
something with UEFI firmware in a year or two.  :)

>> Oh, and for anybody who is really daring - you can have that kind of
>> security even without UEFI.  Just use Trusted Grub and enable TPM
>> support in Linux, and then encrypt all but the boot partition with a
>> key stored in the TPM that it only yields when the boot path is
>> validated.
>
> From the comments I read from Matthew Garrett, this looks like it's
> going to be a world full of pain. Again I don't think we have to go there.

Wasn't really suggesting that we go there - only that anybody who
wants to do it is welcome to do so.  There are even howtos floating
around.  I wasn't suggesting that Gentoo support TPM-based full-disk
encryption - just UEFI.

Rich