On 10/12/2012 01:52, Rich Freeman wrote:
>  The shim might work, but I'd hardly call it "secure boot" if every
> motherboard manufacturer and OEM in the world has the ability to sign
> things, even if MS vouched for them all.  Even if I installed Windows
> I'd want the ability to re-sign it with a key I controlled and tell
> the firmware to refuse to boot the MS key.

I don't think it's Gentoo's place to do that kind of stuff especially
since I think you're in dreamland if you think that's achievable in
_every_ case. It probably works in some cases, though.

> Oh, and for anybody who is really daring - you can have that kind of
> security even without UEFI.  Just use Trusted Grub and enable TPM
> support in Linux, and then encrypt all but the boot partition with a
> key stored in the TPM that it only yields when the boot path is
> validated.

>From the comments I read from Matthew Garrett, this looks like it's
going to be a world full of pain. Again I don't think we have to go there.

Also the title of the threads is now completely misleading so let's stop
here, k?

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
flamee...@flameeyes.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/