On 12/15/2012 01:48 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Richard Yao <r...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>         The systemd developers were in the middle of a transition to the LGPL
>> from the GPL when we forked. We inherited the code in the middle of that
>> transition and we see no reason to pursue a different course. Therefore,
>> all future changes that we make to eudev will be available under the LGPL.
>
> Not sure what the driver is to use LGPL, but in general the Gentoo
> social contract requires that all contributions be made under GPLv2+
> or the CC BY-SAv2+.

"
We will release our contributions to Gentoo as free software, metadata
or documentation, under the GNU General Public License version 2 (or
later, at our discretion) or the Creative Commons - Attribution / Share
Alike version 2 (or later, at our discretion). Any external
contributions to Gentoo (in the form of freely-distributable sources,
binaries, metadata or documentation) may be incorporated into Gentoo
provided that we are legally entitled to do so. However, Gentoo will
never depend upon a piece of software or metadata unless it conforms to
the GNU General Public License, the GNU Lesser General Public License,
the Creative Commons - Attribution/Share Alike or some other license
approved by the Open Source Initiative (OSI).
"

eudev is a Gentoo project is not Gentoo. Same could be said for OpenRC.

> Why not just use GPLv2+?  The LGPL is compatible, so this would not
> prevent us from merging udev changes.

udev and eudev provide:

- a daemon
- a set of core rules
- a library to let applications interact with udev (libudev)
- a generic language binding using glib-introspection (libgudev)

makes perfectly sense to have libraries using LGPL (or even more
permissive licenses).

I guess you misunderstood what is Gentoo and what is a Gentoo Project.

lu