On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Richard Yao <r...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>         The systemd developers were in the middle of a transition to the LGPL
> from the GPL when we forked. We inherited the code in the middle of that
> transition and we see no reason to pursue a different course. Therefore,
> all future changes that we make to eudev will be available under the LGPL.

Not sure what the driver is to use LGPL, but in general the Gentoo
social contract requires that all contributions be made under GPLv2+
or the CC BY-SAv2+.  I'm sure exceptions can be made if they make
sense and are aligned with Gentoo's mission (likely something that
would fall on the Foundation to approve).  If eudev were a non-Gentoo
project then Gentoo could depend on it as long as it used any
OSI-approved license.

Why not just use GPLv2+?  The LGPL is compatible, so this would not
prevent us from merging udev changes.

Not suggesting that we shouldn't use the LGPL if there is a good
reason to do so that is aligned with Gentoo's mission.  I would just
like to understand the reason for it.

Rich