viv...@gmail.com posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 12:37:49 +0100 as excerpted:

> Some numbers:
>
> Packages installed:   1756
> Packages in world:    626
> Packages in system:   42
> Required packages:    1756
> Number to remove:     0

Heh... try my depclean summary (this is from my workstation, but the
netbook's summary is similar):

Packages installed:   863
Packages in world:    0
Packages in system:   0
Required packages:    863
Number removed:       0

A rather unusual depclean summary for sure, but how?

Simple enough.

1) /etc/portage/profile/packages has a whole bunch of -*cat/pkg entries
in it, negating everything that would otherwise be in @system, thus the 0
packages in system line.  (When I first set that up, I negated
everything, then took a look at what a depclean pretend run did, and
added back to my sets, see the next point, anything it was trying to
remove that I actually needed to keep.  There was surprisingly little, as
most of my former @system was a specified dependency of something or
other.)

2) My world file is empty, because I use the sets support in portage 2.2,
and have categorized all my former world-file entries into about two
dozen sets such as jed.admin, jed.kde.base.kdebase.apps, jed.net.admin,
and jed.net.user, which are in turn listed in my world_sets file.  (jed
are my initials, easy way to avoid set namespace pollution and tell my
custom sets from those in the kde overlay, for instance.)

3) portage-2.2 pulls in the world_sets, but doesn't yet have a line in
depclean that reports them[1], and doesn't include them in the world line
either, so the depclean summary ends up being rather cryptic, to say the
least, the more so due to factor #1 meaning 0 packages in @system, as
well.

---
[1] I long ago filed a bug suggesting a new world-sets line for depclean,
but I expect it'll be resolved/fixed about the time sets support finally
gets unmasked to ~arch, the status of which looks about like the tree's
git conversion status... in practice, target "bluesky".  I guess these
are gentoo's Duke Nukem' Forever projects.