On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 11:33:42PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 11:21 PM, Daniel Campbell <dlcampb...@gmx.com> wrote:
> > So long as users retain the choice of keeping eth* or wlan*, no
> > complaints from me. I (and others) came to Gentoo to get away from
> > systemd, and this smells of a systemd-ism. Will eudev be pursuing this
> > as well?
>
> Keep in mind that this is a udev announcement, not a eudev
> announcement.  Udev is generally going to follow upstream, so if
> avoiding systemd is your main goal in life you probably will want to
> stick with eudev, which might or might not adopt this feature.

For the record, I have no plans of forcing systemd on anyone. I still
maintain OpenRC and plan to continue doing so.

As described on the wiki, it is very simple to turn this feature off
either by adding your own persistent rules in /etc/udev/rules.d or by
overriding the 80-net-slot-name.rules file by putting a file in
/etc/udev/rules.d with that name. So, how is this a "systemd-ism"? a lot
of software has defaults that you can reconfigure.

William