On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 12:59:11AM +0100, Andreas K. Huettel wrote

> Sure a server is something generic, too.  However, since you mentioned
> mysql above, how about a postgres server?  Or a web server using a
> daemon different from apache? :)
>
> This is why I think (as others) a server profile should basically be
> the same as a minimal profile.  And then, defining a minimal profile
> separate from the base profile does not make too much sense. Rather,
> carefully try to move all specific stuff out of the base profile.

  If someone wants a *REALLY* basic system, they can start off with
USE="-*" and add on stuff as necessary when portage complains and/or
ebuilds break.  That's what I'd recommend to someone wanting to set up a
"basic server" machine.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>