On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 07:09:29AM -0500, Michael Mol wrote
> On Jan 17, 2013 3:35 AM, "Dirkjan Ochtman" <d...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 3:23 AM, Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>
> wrote:
> > >   If someone wants a *REALLY* basic system, they can start off with
> > > USE="-*" and add on stuff as necessary when portage complains and/or
> > > ebuilds break.  That's what I'd recommend to someone wanting to set up a
> > > "basic server" machine.
> >
> > Yeah, but that sucks with USE_EXPAND. For example, I sure want some
> > version of Python installed, but setting USE="-*" removes all support
> > for Python versions and has me add them one by one. I guess I could do
> > that, but now I always have to keep up to date myself, which sucks.
>
> My thought is that base should have just enough enabled for stage3 to be
> self-hosting. Moving existing base to something like "common" would retain
> a profile for that "most people would want this" set.

  On a lark, I once tried the "default/linux/x86/10.0" profile for a
re-install on my netbook without "-*".  I soon ended up with more "-"
entries in make.conf and package.use, than I have add-on entries when
using "-*".  And I was only half-way through installing the apps I
normally use.  I went back to "-*".

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>