On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 02:28:47PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Dustin C. Hatch <admiraln...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > The package defaults have gotten out of hand, in my opinion. I use
> > default/linux/amd64/10.0 on all my machines and my /etc/portage/package.use
> > directories have dozens of -flag entries for packages with ridiculous
> > defaults, and almost none that come from the profile. I'm considering
> > removing pkginternal from USE_ORDER.
>
> And this is the problem with having the default profile be really
> minimal.  It just moves the problem into per-package defaults that are
> much more painful to override.

  I don't think changing the profile is the solution.  I doubt that
dozens of maintainers will immediately unset unwanted default USE flags
simply because the default profile is made more bloated.  As I mentioned
in a previous message, my personal experience is that it's actually less
work to start with "-*", and add as required, rather than to use
defaults and then hack and slash at the unwanted stuff.

  Mind you, as per my sig, I run ICEWM and leave the extra ram for
useful applications.  We may simply have to admit that we can't please
everybody.  I suggest a "minimal" profile instead.  It would boot to a
text console, and have networking and portage, allowing you to build
further.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>