On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 22:17:26 -0500
Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Oh, and keep in mind that flags really only have an effect if the
> corresponding packages are actually installed.  For example, the cups
> flag doesn't really have an effect unless you install apps that do
> printing, so it seems pretty safe to leave in a minimal profile (would
> you really want to install libreoffice, chromium, or foomatic and not
> have cups support?).

Really? Yes, I can see plenty of cases where I’d want LO or Chromium
but with USE=-cups, because there’s no printer anywhere in sight. Why
should that mean I don’t want an office suite or a web browser?
Probably not so much foomatic (though maybe there are other printing
frameworks than CUPS that people might use?), but LO and Chromium
absolutely.

Chris