On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 11:51:54AM -0600, Dustin C. Hatch wrote

> The package defaults have gotten out of hand, in my opinion. I use
> default/linux/amd64/10.0 on all my machines and my
> /etc/portage/package.use directories have dozens of -flag entries for
> packages with ridiculous defaults, and almost none that come from the
> profile. I'm considering removing pkginternal from USE_ORDER.

  Have you heard the old joke about how an elephant is actually a mouse
designed by a committee?  The same thing applies to distro bloat.  Some
people want feature A, others want feature B, and others want feature C.
The final result is a distro with features A *AND* B *AND* C.  I was
originally drawn to Gentoo with the "Gentoo Ricer" atitude.  But now
it's the fine-grained control of USE flags that makes me stay with
Gentoo.

  I think we may have to admit that "one size does not fit all".  There
are just too many individual scenarios.  A truly minimal build should be
sufficient to boot to a text console, and have networking and portage to
be able to build further up the chain.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>