On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Luca Barbato <lu_z...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I hope somebody not Libav nor FFmpeg committer could come up with a
> pros-cons list.

++, but frankly the committers are probably in the best place to do
any evaluation even if they likely have some bias.  If you wanted to
delve into the merits of portage vs paludis you'd be far more informed
by a discussion between the respective devs (even if flames are
involved) than listening to some Ubuntu users go on about which ones
were the ricers. Keeping things civil of course is desirable all the
same.

A wiki page might be a good place for this.  Perhaps we should have
some category for point-in-time analyses/evaluations/etc when things
like this come up.  A page like this might be something that gets
attention from the linux community in general.  If we want it to be
anything other than a raging flamewar it might require moderation, and
a lot of sticking to the facts and looking at it pragmatically from a
"what makes sense for a distro" standpoint rather than "which is the
better project" standpoint.

Rich