On 02/25/2013 06:03 AM, Duncan wrote:
> Eray Aslan posted on Mon, 25 Feb 2013 10:02:49 +0200 as excerpted:

>> Ugh, no.  MIT is not windows focused
>
> ... But samba is...

Actually, no. That's why I've been so excited about Samba 4, and why I'm
setting it up at home. AD is actually a very powerful network
administration tool, and it's not necessary to think of it as a "Windows
thing". Think of it more like a sane replacement of NIS, tying in NTP
and DNS management as well.

> As far as the thread in general goes, the question arises, if you're
> running both samba and nfs, why?  They're both network-based-filesystems
> that in theory at least should have reasonably similar functionality, so
> an admittedly not particularly clueful reaction is "if it hurts when you
> do that, stop doing it".

It's incredibly rare to see a uniform enterprise network. Every one I've
witnessed is heterogenous. The reasons usually come in a mix of these
flavors:

1) There's no policy for homogeneity.
2) Department A does it one way, department B does it another way, and
both departments are largely autonomous.
3) There needs to be integration between system A and system B, and
neither of those systems can reasonably be expected to change from their
current state.
4) Someone mandated a "solution" that only supports X and Y, and it's
not worth the resources and risk of revamping the entire rest of the
network to meet that spec natively.