Hi, everyone.

This one goes to gentoo-dev since it's a potentially wider idea
and I'd like to get other developers opinion on.

As you most likely already know, distutils-r1 allows ebuilds to define
sub-phase functions like:

  python_compile() {
    # commands which will be run for each impl
    do_something_magical
  }

Often, ebuilds do not want to override the sub-phases completely
but instead call the default implementation:

  python_install_all() {
    use doc && local HTML_DOCS=( doc/html/. )
    distutils-r1_python_install_all
  }

So the behavior is quite similar to the regular phase functions.
However, the function names ended up quite verbose.

To make this more friendly, I would likely to locally introduce
'edefault' function in the eclass (name can change). The function would
-- similarly to 'default' in regular phase functions -- call
the default code for the sub-phase.

For example, the above would change to:

  python_install_all() {
    use doc && local HTML_DOCS=( doc/html/. )
    edefault
  }

I will send in reply a patch adding the described magic to the eclass,
and a second one showing how an example ebuild can be changed
(dev-python/setuptools).

What are your thoughts?

--
Best regards,