On 5/28/13 6:19 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
And you actually make the boot depend on:

1) valid /bin/sh

If it doesn't exist you have a few order of magnitude bigger problem.

2) valid /etc/switch-init which would not interfere with boot process.

I guess if you want to switch init system you need that =)

With switch-init being executed as a shell script, it can do anything.

Yes and that's the beauty of it.

And I wouldn't be surprised if you made it do various things you'd like
to be done.

I would be surprised if I'd make it do various things I won't like to be done, surely a possibility, albeit unlikely.

Not to mention what would happen if it gets corrupted into
binary mess and shell tries to execute that.

Having your rootfs corrupted is quite bad, even horrible if an ephemeral file gets corrupted through reboot.

There's no fallback that could handle shell failures, you know.

I guess your knowledge of shell needs to be expanded, beside that it is easier to write an example using shell pseudocode to explain how it could work.

That said, here a friendly suggestion: try to be less destructive in your comments and fix your mailer. Both can be annoying in the long run.

lu