2013/6/16 Zac Medico <zmed...@gentoo.org>:
> How about it we add a src_fetch phase, so that the VCS intricacies can be
> delegated to ebuilds/eclasses (like they are now, but without having to
> abuse src_unpack). If we include a way for src_fetch to communicate changes
> in VCS revisions to the package manager, then we'll be able to integrate
> functionality like smart-live-rebuild directly into the package manager (as
> discussed in bug 182028 [1]).

As a side note from a developer of an app that keeps various loosely
coupled modules in one repo — it'd be great if there would be a way to
also tell whether the changed revision actually affects the given
package. The default, of course, should be to assume that every change
in the repo affects a given package, but when it can be proved that
package doesn't need to be rebuilt — why bother rebuilding it? Of
course, the task of the proof lies on exact ebuild maintainer.

--
  Georg Rudoy
  LeechCraft — http://leechcraft.org