On Wed, 7 Aug 2013 15:44:34 -0700
Greg KH <gre...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 11:37:21AM +0200, Tom Wijsman wrote:
>
> > Some kind of annotation with tags would make this kind of thing
> > easy; I'm not saying it is your task to apply such annotations to
> > commits, but it would rather be the task of the person who makes an
> > individual patch.
>
> I am not going to impose an additional burden on developers to get
> their patches into the stable kernel releases like this, sorry.

As I said, it's not your task; so, what you impose doesn't matter.

> Can you judge which bug fixes are security ones, and which are not?
> And do so for 100+ patches a week?  52 weeks a year?  Great, please
> do so, as no one has ever been able to do this (others have tried.)

Yes, that is easy on the premise that they are annotated.

> Hint, the line between a bugfix and a security fix is not always
> obvious, or even known at all.

The developer knows; and if not, he can probably just mark it as a fix.

> And what about all of the fixes I merge in, that _are_ really security
> fixes, yet we do not want to shout it out to the world at the moment?

For known security bugs, being aware of a fix earlier helps.

> How would one properly "tag" that?

That's explained below, and would be explained in technical details.

> > This would benefit multiple people; it would benefit users to know
> > the amount of patches that are security and code fixes, new
> > features and see them separately. It would also benefit
> > distributions and system admins to filter them out, they could for
> > instance drop new feature patches so they just get the fixes they
> > need.
> >
> > It puts the power in the user's hands; allowing them to evaluate,
> > pick and choose according to their own demands and needs.
> >
> > Implementation wise, I don't think this is any harder than the
> > already existing annotations; work wise, adding a tag is easy to do.
>
> See above for why it is not easy at all, and, why even if we do know
> some fixes are security ones, we would not tag them as such anyway.

Neither seems to be a problem.

> So that kind of makes that whole idea fall apart, right?  :)

The kernel ML will tell whether it does or not. :)

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D