Greg KH wrote:
> > > See above for why it is not easy at all, and, why even if we do know
> > > some fixes are security ones, we would not tag them as such anyway.
> >
> > I think this supports the argument that the better kernel is always
> > the one with the most fixes.
>
> That's what us kernel developers have been saying for 10+ years, nice to
> see it's finally getting some traction :)

It has been obvious for me for a very long time as well, but I am
just one person, and my idea doesn't seem to have much traction in
Gentoo. :\

> > Rather than separating "bug fixes" from "security fixes" maybe it's
> > wiser to think about separating "fixes" from "features" - this may
> > be easier, but still not neccessarily easy.
>
> For stable kernel releases, that type of thing should be quite easy for
> someone to do, if they want to do it, as the only type of "features" I
> take for them are new device ids.
>
> But I fail to see how marking 5 patches out of 100 as "features" is
> really doing to do much for anyone, do you?

For stable kernel releases there would be no need. I think they
should be stabilized automatically in Gentoo. It's simply a more
accurate model of upstream.

//Peter