On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 4:34 AM, Tom Wijsman <tom...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Aug 2013 15:32:45 -0700
> Greg KH <gre...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > For known security bugs, being aware of a fix earlier helps.
>>
>> I don't understand what you mean here at all.
>
> Neither do I understand what you mean by not shouting it out; so,
> unless you have argumentation to not shout it out, I'm in the belief
> that the faster one is able to apply a security fix, the more secure he
> is as a result. If not shouting it out makes things more secure, then
> please state me how and why; because it only gives attackers more time.

I think that you guys are talking past each other to an extent.

My sense is that Greg is using the term security bugs to refer to
implementation errors that could be exploited to obtain unintended
access to a system.  Using this definition, any bug could be a
security bug, and figuring this out is about as easy as figuring out
whether a particular move is a good or bad one in chess.

I think Tom is using the term security bug to refer to a bug that has
a published exploit against it (ie a CVE/etc).  Using this definition
it is clear whether a particular bug is a security bug - it is either
in the database or it isn't.

I don't follow the kernel closely, but my guess is that they stay
well-ahead of CVE most of the time.  I'd certainly say that any
project should clearly document which releases incorporate fixes to
CVEs - perhaps the kernel already does this.  Since most bugs get
fixed before anybody bothers to file a CVE, I'm not sure how much that
actually matters in practice.

Frankly with the huge volume of changes and frequent releases I'm
amazed the kernel works as well as it does!  Greg gave a talk about
the rate of change and the implications for those submitting changes
recently - I'm sure it is on youtube/etc somewhere.

Rich